Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#67456 - 05/02/2002 19:52 Tuner faulty ?
BradS
new poster

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have had my Empeg installed for about three weeks and posted a while back that my tuner was way to quiet, at least the FM side. Well, today I got in the car and switched to tuner mode, turned it way up so I could hear it – Then Wham, the strength bars lit up and as I scrambled to turn it down I saw that the bars get bright as the signal grows. The bad news is it lasted all of about 3 seconds then back to no signal strength. So, even though I checked, double checked and checked again the connection to the antenna and that the antenna is not funky in anyway I stopped at my local Radio Shack on the way home and picked up a replacement (guaranteed no power, booster ect…) car antenna. I ripped into the dash, installed the new antenna and nothing, same as before. So, do I have a bad tuner, and if I do, who do I talk to for warranty. I went out to the Sonic Blue site and they do not list the Rio Car as a product that they support. I sent an e-mail off when this all started and it got returned. Thanks for any help.

#67457 - 05/02/2002 20:11 Re: Tuner faulty ? [Re: BradS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

#67458 - 05/02/2002 20:30 Re: Tuner faulty ? [Re: tfabris]
BradS
new poster

Thanks, I have read through the tuner module faq's already and they do not apply. I am not using the extension cable and I know that I do not need power to the antenna. Thanks for the tip on contacting tech support, missed that.

#67459 - 10/02/2002 08:29 Re: Tuner faulty ? [Re: BradS]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I had a similar problem.... mine showed that I had full signal strength on all local stations in FM.... however no sound. In AM I got a lot of stations. I ended up sending both the head unit (faulty power connector) and the Tuner module to the UK for repair. They did pay for fedex express to and from, I'm still waitiing to get them back. I'll let you know what support says as to whether or not you really have to send it back or if theres something else going on that no ones encountered yet.

#67460 - 10/02/2002 09:32 Re: Tuner faulty ? [Re: lopan]
BradS
new poster

I sent off an e-mail to support, they responeded quickly, asked for my address and the next day I had a new tuner module. Installed it in a few minutes, got perfect radio sound, drove to the postoffice listening to my new radio and shipped off the old one in the return envolope they supplied.

I have to say that this is one of the best customer support experiences that I have ever had!!

Brad

#67461 - 10/02/2002 11:02 Re: Tuner faulty ? [Re: BradS]
lopan
old hand

Really? Thats cool, I waited almost 3 days before finally getting all the paper work and shipping information straight... are you in the US?

#67462 - 10/02/2002 16:45 Re: Tuner faulty ? [Re: lopan]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
My response times to initial email is usually fairly quick, but once the issue is open, sending faxes and so on get lower priority - I usually do them in one batch at the end of the day.

I have a *very* small stock of tuners available for repairs, so I currently only send replacements when I am almost certain that it will resolve the issue.

#67463 - 11/02/2002 06:56 Re: Tuner faulty ? [Re: David]
lopan
old hand

I wasn't compaining or anything, just curious as to how he got such a quick resolution. I'm very satisfied with the level of service offered, I'm also sure that there is a time difference working against us too, normally by the time I get to read your email, it's around 5 or 6 in the afternoon there!