Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68106 - 07/02/2002 02:20 Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Must Have Hijack v111 or greater. installed on your player. This Will show you how to change the Anna Vu, imagepan, Tubular, TuxMuch, and TuxTooMuch with ease, and no Bin Editing.

Step 1: Get Your Tools Ready
-Open Tonys Logo Editor.
-Open emRAWerter (http://www.karlslund.dk/empeg).
-Open Ftp Client.
-Open Your Fav Image Editor.
-Open Hyperterminal

Step 2: Ftp'in
-Go To Dir /empeg/lib/visuals/ on your empeg
-Get vuback.raw, logo.raw, and escher.raw files and put tham in a place you can remember

Step 3: Editing/Viewing Orginal Vis. GFX
-In emRAWerter open the vis u wanna play with
--vuback.raw=Anna Vu (128x32)
--logo.raw=Tubular, TuxMuch, and TuxTooMuch (128x32)
--escher.raw=ImagePan (000x000 any size)
-Once opened in emRAWenter copy to clipboard
-paste it in either tonys editior, or photoshop or other similar app
-Edit or create new logos/vis keep in mind you must limit colors to 4, or emRAWerter will not save them.
-once editied copy images to clipboard, then paste them to enRAWerter, dont worrie if they look weird it wont look like that on the player.
-Save the escher.raw as an RLE file when asked, the logo.raw and vuback.raw do no save as rle
-overright your orginal files to preserve file names.

Step 4: Trasnvering to the player via FTP
- your ftp client shoudl still be connected
- open hyperterminal u should know hwo to do this by now
- drop into shell with the 'q' command
- when at promt type 'rw'
--now back to your ftp client
-overright the files in the player that u editied or made by putting them in the /empeg/lib/visuals/ dir of the empeg.
--back to hyperterminal
- type the 'ro' command
- type the 'exit' command

Done.

your player should reset itsself and your new visuals will be ready to use.

if you have any more questions just post them.. i was just updating the kinda of confusing and long post from before to make a simple solution for newbies to change visuals

#68107 - 07/02/2002 07:05 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: justinlarsen]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the step by step explanation. Although I still don't know what RAWerter, an ftp client, or a hyperterminal is.

#68108 - 07/02/2002 10:32 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: ]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Although I still don't know what RAWerter, an ftp client, or a hyperterminal is

In that case you probably don't want to be doing this sort of thing until the process is more consumerised, or you have read and understood the appropriate FAQ entries ().

Rob

#68109 - 07/02/2002 13:51 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: rob]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
sorry to sound so pompous, but imo a person should not even be using the Internet if they don't know what FTP is or means...

I also am irritated by the use of the term "hyperterminal".. Ughh, that is just a freaking brand name. The term should be "terminal emulator" and then use "Hyperterminal" as an example application.. I don't care if hyperterminal comes with Windows..

Ok, I've extinguished my anal-ness for the week..

Edited by jnmunsey (07/02/2002 14:38)

#68110 - 07/02/2002 14:03 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: rob]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're right.

#68111 - 07/02/2002 14:18 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: jnmunsey]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
That's a little harsh isn't it? If not harsh then certainly elitist.

While not many on the Internet today were around to witness the transformation from academic to commercial use ...I think the next decade will see so many changes to the internet infrastructure that ftp, telnet, and http would be but sewage lines of the metropolis. Many would live in the metropolis, but few and fewer would have wandered in the original subterranean passageways nor be required to.

Calvin

#68112 - 07/02/2002 14:19 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: jnmunsey]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Uhh. No. Telnet is a network protocol. The application they're referring to is being used as a serial console. The correct term could be ``dumb terminal'', ``serial terminal'', ``terminal emulator'' or one of various others. You're right that ``Hyperterminal'' is a brand name and shouldn't be used except as an example, but ``telnet'' is more wrong.

#68113 - 07/02/2002 14:22 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: ]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Baby steps.... start off software updates, then the boot up logo etc...

I have to disagree with the stance on ftp... until recently, ftp was kept very much out of the average user's radar. Unless you have regular access to your own server space (through a hosting company), you really don't need it. I never needed it until I started designing web pages. And it was only recently that Windows came with it built in. We can get on our high horse about how everyone shouldn't be using IE and everyone should be using CuteFTP or whatever, but in the "real-world" (ie, people's lives that don't revolve around computers) this is borderline elitist. This is similar to when a person walks into a record store and gets the eye roll for not knowing who Throbbing Gristle is and thinks that NIN invented industrial music.

I DO stand for the insistance of correct term usage and am always welcome to being corrected (even on grammar). For example, we don't connect to the empeg/RioCar with a serial cable - we use a null-modem serial cable.

Edit: correct, thanks. It was meant as an example... I guess it proves my point that it important to point these things out!

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (07/02/2002 14:30)

#68114 - 07/02/2002 14:24 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Aargh. Not telnet, despite the earlier post. Please edit your post or you will just confuse people more. I realize you're trying to be correct, and I appreciate it, but you've been misled.

#68115 - 07/02/2002 14:32 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: wfaulk]
jnmunsey

"Uhh. No. Telnet is a network protocol. The application they're referring to is being used as a serial console. The correct term could be ``dumb terminal'', ``serial terminal'', ``terminal emulator'' or one of various others. You're right that ``Hyperterminal'' is a brand name and shouldn't be used except as an example, but ``telnet'' is more wrong. "

Ok I stand corrected. I was assuming hyperterminal was connecting to the unit's internal IP address(in which case it would be using Telnet), which of it does not, it uses a serial connection..

I should have worded it perhaps as "using a terminal emulator such as xxx"...

Oh, I'm not trying to be elitist just stirring things up around here..

-John M

#68116 - 07/02/2002 14:40 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: jnmunsey]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I was assuming hyperterminal was connecting to the unit's internal IP address(in which case it would be using Telnet), which of it does not, it uses a serial connection..
Which demonstrates why using the name of a product instead of the process used is a bad idea. It's impossible to tell what's actually going on since HyperTerminal, along with many other programs, does more than just one thing.

#68117 - 07/02/2002 14:47 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: jnmunsey]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Jnmunsey - Yet we all can learn to ride a bike without knowing about gear ratios or gyroscopic effects. I think you are, as you say, being pompous. Rob's response is correct though, know your limits.

As for the terminal emulator/Hyperterminal, it's a 'facial tissue/kleenex' issue in my book.

-Zeke

#68118 - 07/02/2002 14:48 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: jnmunsey]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Ha, you edited it! I made a reply in the tone of this your post mocking your confusing a telnet client and a serial terminal emulator, looked one last time at your post, and saw that reference to telnet disapeared!.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#68119 - 07/02/2002 15:00 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: Ezekiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

As for the terminal emulator/Hyperterminal, it's a 'facial tissue/kleenex' issue in my book.
Nope. It's more like swiss army knife/corkscrew, which are not equivalent. Since HyperTerminal is a serial console, an ``advanced'' modem client, and a telnet client, using it as a synonym for any one of those functions is imprecise.

#68120 - 07/02/2002 15:48 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: wfaulk]
jnmunsey

Yeah, I doubt any of us would wanna get caught dead referring to *any* operating system as "Windows"...

I guess for users unfamiliar with "advanced" computer knowledge(there seem to be quite a few), using "hyperterminal" is not necessarily a bad thing..

I got into once with a recruiter who asked me if I knew SQL.. I said yes. Later on he exected me to know how to administer Microsft SQL Server, upon which I told him I had limited experience.

He was miffed and asked why I told him I knew it. I told him that I knew most forms of SQL - structered query language. He was so ignorant he got even more angry.. I guess he expected me to assume that if it sounds like anything from Microsoft then tha is what he meant..

Oh, one of you wrote "until recently, ftp was kept very much out of the average user's radar. " Hmm, that is the exact opposite of what I experienced. The average user on the Internet 10 years ago almost exclusively used FTP for file transfers. Shoot, they even did so 5 years ago.. If the option is available they should do so today as well. HTTP file transfers are much less reliable than FTP.. I guess the "average" user todayis quite a bit different than before. I wish people would educate themselves a little more about the things the use.

I am just having fun here..

-John M

#68121 - 07/02/2002 17:05 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm almost positive Windows 95 came with a command-line FTP client. And a telnet client (a terminal whose purpose it is to connect to a telnet port in this case). It also came with ping, traceroute (named "tracert") and a few other things. Can't remember if nslookup was in Win95, but now we're getting too specific.

If anyone is using the internet, the should know the dfinitions for and the purpose for the following:

"DOMAIN"
HTML
HTTP
IP
DNS
PPP
POP3
SMTP
TLD
NNTP (less important to most people than the above)
FTP
BBS
MODEM

Now that's all pretty basic. I'm sure they'd all be covered in an "internet for dummies" type of book. What you don't need to know is what a "Napster" is.

There are less important terms that a large number of people might be interested in though such as:

IM
IRC (--->DCC)
VPN
SLIP
CSLIP
Proxy
Firewall

etc... Anyway, I still think the top list is the most basic that really anyone using the net on a regular basis should know. Especially if they ever want to set up their own connection, help anyone else toset up a connection or talk to anyone about problems they're having setting up a connection. And I didn't even mention really basic stuff like knowing the difference between UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD.

Bruno

#68122 - 07/02/2002 19:26 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Note the part that says 'in my book'. A facial tissue is also toilet paper a notepad and a bandaid (ooh wait, a bandaid is actually an elastic wound covering...). ;-)

While I appreciate the need for exacting specificity as a machine tool designer, it can be counter productive at times. Deriding someone for not knowing the precise meaning of technical terms (jargon actually) irritates me.

Anyway I've pushed this thread OT enough so I'll stop now and channel this rant into a good workout.

-Zeke

ps: I do appreciate the difference between Hyperterminal and a terminal emulator, I simply choose to ignore it; just like that mattress that just suddenly appeared...

#68123 - 07/02/2002 20:26 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Baby steps.... start off software updates, then the boot up logo etc... "

I've upgraded to 2.7, and I think I've mastered the boot logo stage......what's next? Hijack?

#68124 - 07/02/2002 20:45 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: ]
thrasher
enthusiast

ftp isnt that the place that delivers flowers

#68125 - 08/02/2002 00:32 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: wfaulk]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
your right.. but hyper terminal is just the one that good old mircosoft includes with there software called windows

#68126 - 08/02/2002 01:53 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: hybrid8]
Wire

Loc: Jylland, Denmark
hybrid_8, hey I'm 3L173, I know all the terms.

Do I get a prize, or did I just waste several years of my life becoming nerd-ish?

If anyone can agree on a political correct HOW-TO use emRAWerter, I'll gladly include it in the readme-file ...

The above looks okay to me, but I'm not so picky

#68127 - 08/02/2002 03:53 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: hybrid8]
jane
enthusiast

Loc: Copenhagen SW, Denmark
BGP
CIDR
GRE
QPSK
DQDB
ECMA
IMDD
CDMA

#68128 - 08/02/2002 04:08 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: Wire]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

hey I'm 3L173, I know all the terms.

u cant spel 31337, ur a lUzEr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#68129 - 08/02/2002 07:38 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Yes, with a command prompt, you could do all sorts of things with Win95... I was refering to the more user friendly ftp option included in IE now. And yes, 10 years ago everyone on the internet used ftp. Yep, all 10 people on the internet! I think around 1995 or 1996, the internet boomed with "newbies" and only now are those newbies (people like my mom or uncle) truely getting some use out it. In my mind, those are the average users...

Anyway, this is getting WAY off topic, and I think with a little clairification, we agree!

And no Elitist talk! You guys are turning my stomache!

#68130 - 08/02/2002 08:11 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
IE has had some form of ftp download functionality for as long as I can remember and has had upload functionality for at least three years. As I remember the upload stuff first appeared with the "Webify" upgrade for Windows Explorer in Win95/NT4.

The implementation is still pants though...

#68131 - 08/02/2002 11:44 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: ]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

I think Hijack would be a fine next step. It's got great functionality for the (very) little effort to get it installed. Once you have it installed a lot of other things become possible.

-Zeke

#68132 - 08/02/2002 12:03 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: tms13]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
i 0wn j00 4ll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#68133 - 08/02/2002 14:06 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: hybrid8]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
For anyone that doesn’t know these tech terms, checkout: www.whatis.com It has saved me a couple of times from asking the embarrassing questions - like what is a ping?

Anyone know what it stands for (without cheating)?

#68134 - 08/02/2002 14:09 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: morrisdl]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
and for super fast leet speak translation...

http://www.leetspeak.com/

(an empeg ownder made that =)

#68135 - 08/02/2002 16:00 Re: Easy Visual Customization With Hjack FTP [Re: morrisdl]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Contrary to popular belief it doesn't stand for anything - according to the guy who wrote it. It's simply a radar analogy

http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/ping.html

Sadly he was killed a year or so ago.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >