Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#85205 - 03/04/2002 14:15 My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use:
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
Just upgraded to v2 and what can I say other than "WOW!" So many of my friends would love to have one of these now that they've seen mine. They love the dancing stick men btw ;-) I havn't installed HiJack so i apologize if some of these have been implemented there already. Here are some features that would be nice to see:

1. Super-fast fast-forwarding. I have tracks that are atleast 60 minutes long and some 120 minutes long. They are full DJ sets and I would hate to split them up into seperate tracks just to be able to access the final half or third of the DJ's mix quickly. I might suggest to keep the fast-forwarding the same as currently programed up to about 5 minutes into the track, and then speed up the search, skipping every minute or more.

2. My buddy has a real cool screen saver, where the screen is "raining" green digits\Chinese characters\letters down the screen, exactly like the scenes from the Matrix. I thought that would be cool for a beat-synced visual. Perhaps different groups of falling digits could represent different frequencies and the like.

3. I know the volume knob and it's use has been discussed before but has anyone ever suggested that it be used as a jog control? Just like a jog dial on a nice VCR, using it as a gradual fast forward and rewind controller, ie. the farther you rotate the knob to the right the faster it searches forward and vice-versa.

4. I do know that HiJack has a feature similiar to this, but, I'd like to see Emplode have the ablity to Normalize all or selected tracks before loading them onto the player. As far as i could gather, and I could be completely wrong, but HiJack doesn't have true Normalization in that it's more like an audio compression algorthym where it boosts the quiet sections and lowers the loud sections of the song. What I'd like to see Emplode do is scan all of my songs and adjust their volumes according to a Normalization setting, say 20% RMS or any other setting offered, set by the user. Heck, Nero can do it, can Emplode?

Thanks for your time in any future response,

Curly

#85206 - 03/04/2002 14:22 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: CurlyKicker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
All of those except for the Matrix visual are in the 2.0 software. You should give 2.0 beta 11 a try.

Note that the normalization feature you described is temporarily disabled because there was a bug in it that caused the tracks to sometimes play static. But it was a true normalization, not a dynamic compressor.

Note that by "true normalization", I mean the thing that is completely useless and will not make your tracks sound like they are at the same volume. The difference between normalization and dynamic compression can be found here. Please read that entry carefully before discussing anything else normalization-related.

#85207 - 03/04/2002 15:37 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: tfabris]
CurlyKicker

Thanks Tony for your always quick reply. I've searched for the directions on how to use the volume knob as a shuttle dial and I havn't found any, though I have found threads discussing it's use. I've also tried every which way to get the shuttle to work on the unit and I've found nothing. Help?

TY,

Curly

BTW I have upgraded to v2b11 and didn't realize that the search function had been upgraded. :-D Always nice to find another "hidden" feature!

#85208 - 03/04/2002 15:40 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You didn't really say how the other two things were implemented in the 2.0b11 software. I assume that you're talking about two of the Seek Tool's features.

#85209 - 03/04/2002 15:54 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: CurlyKicker]
CurlyKicker

Never mind. I found it. Now I know what that particular sceen's for!

Edited by CurlyKicker (03/04/2002 15:55)

#85210 - 03/04/2002 15:58 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: CurlyKicker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Under the 2.0 beta 11 software, the fast-forward is a "ramped" speed. As you hold down the button, it will go faster and faster.

The new "Seek Tool", where the knob is a jog/shuttle dial, is found by selecting the "Seek Tool" info screen. The Seek tool will also allow you to skip forward to different sections of the song (as detected by overall track volume) using the L/R buttons. This is useful for big mix albums, although it's certainly not perfectly accurate with regard to detection of the sections of the song.

Note that in order for the seek tool to be able to save off the track graph (the pictured song volume data), the song must play to completion on the player.

#85211 - 04/04/2002 00:30 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: tfabris]
CurlyKicker

Now in the future, where can I go to learn how to use the new features implemented?

#85212 - 04/04/2002 01:37 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: CurlyKicker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Read the release notes.

#85213 - 04/04/2002 11:56 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: tfabris]
CurlyKicker

For guys like me who have just upgraded their Empegs from v1.03, there doesn't seem to be a page to read about how to use the most recent features from past releases. The release notes from v2b11 only mentions new features from v2b8 and on. There is no way I can view the older release notes of past upgrades to learn about those releases and their features and how to use them. All I know is that the Seek Tool is not mentioned in the most recent release notes, and therefore I had to take up your time Tony with these inane questions

Curly

#85214 - 04/04/2002 11:58 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: CurlyKicker]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Hey, Rob!!!

Is there any way you could post old release notes? Or include the old release notes in the new release notes?

Edit: Nevermind. See dodgecowboy's post below.

Edited by wfaulk (04/04/2002 14:09)

#85215 - 04/04/2002 13:43 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: CurlyKicker]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
http://www.empeg.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?section=downloads&id=7

This will take you to the page that has all the release notes from 2b11 all the way back to original beta software release notes

#85216 - 05/04/2002 02:34 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: dodgecowboy]
yoogie21
new poster

Hey, there is something missing in the list of release notes. The notes for 2.0 b12f are missing. I use it and I'm very happy with it, because I have an old Honda Accord. :-D

just kidding

#85217 - 05/04/2002 22:05 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: dodgecowboy]
CurlyKicker

Thanks, I needed that!

#85218 - 12/04/2002 06:58 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: CurlyKicker]
snowwhite
stranger

Can the normalisation feature be turned back on in the v2b11 release?

#85219 - 12/04/2002 07:36 Re: My wishlist after a couple weeks of car use: [Re: snowwhite]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I think that is the plan. It was taken out temporarily.