Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#86131 - 09/04/2002 04:54 Searching wish
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
Lets say I am in search mode, as append or insert or whatever.
I navigate by artist. Now I have tons of tracks by the same Artist, but want to append(insert, replace) only a few, but all I see in my display is something like this:

Bach, Johann Sebastian(96)

If I were to press ok now, I'd insert all of those. Instead, I want to navigate 'into' that list of tracks, insert/append/replace one, and stay in that list so that I can directly scroll up/dwn to select more of those.

Same thing applies to selection by title if you have several tracks with the same title, of course.

related: imagine two tracks with exactly the same title, but different artist.
Example: Metallica and Apocalyptica, tracks are 'One' and 'Nothing Else Matters'. Those are undiscernible in search mode...

Or 'War', Bruce Springsteen, and Frankie Goes To Hollywood...

With harddisks getting cheaper by the day, the situation is likely to occur more often...

any Hints (and/or plans for versions yet to come)?

bye,
[L]

#86132 - 09/04/2002 11:02 Re: Searching wish [Re: Lemmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sub-selecting of search results has been requested before, but has not yet been implemented.

In the meantime, you can insert individual songs from your "Bach" playlist, directly from the playlists menu, using the technique described here.

#86133 - 09/04/2002 12:04 Re: Searching wish [Re: Lemmy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, 'Creep' by STP and 'Creep' by Radiohead. Can't pick just one. It's a package deal. The only workaround is to rename them, something like Creep (STP), Creep (Radiohead).

#86134 - 09/04/2002 12:18 Re: Searching wish [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Right, that's another good work-around, to re-name the songs with a suffix indicator.

For me, though, I only do the suffix trick for different versions of the same song by the same artist. For instance, I have two different versions of Pink Floyd's "Mother" on my player (a live recording and a studio recording). I can see the difference between those two in a search.

But I have not re-named all of the versions of "Mother" on my player, which happens to include completely different songs by Tori Amos and Cyndi Lauper. So in that case, I'm still forced to find those tunes via the playlists rather than via a search.

I agree that sub-selecting search results would be a good thing.

#86135 - 10/04/2002 09:26 Re: Searching wish [Re: tfabris]
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
Yea, that works with tracks already in a playlist. but what about tracks in the 'soap dump' or those I can't quite remember where I put them?

Maybe some way to browse the 'soap dump' by some artificial playlist tree split into 'by artist' 'by title' and the other categories that exist in the search menu right now, maybe even instead of the search menu?
like, the way konqeror on linux shows the content of an audio cd?

bye,
[L]

Edited by Lemmy (10/04/2002 09:28)

#86136 - 10/04/2002 10:22 Re: Searching wish [Re: Lemmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Heh, that's "Soup View".

Technically, until they get Soup implemented on the player, you're not supposed to set it up so there are songs that aren't in playlists. Before 2.0, if there was a song in Unattached Items, that was flagged as an error in Emplode if I recall correctly.

Although I agree that doing a Search is the only way to find songs that aren't in playlists, and I have already agreed that a sub-select of search results would be a good thing. It just doesn't exist at the moment and I am suggesting work arounds.