Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#87534 - 14/04/2002 15:53 Emplode forgets setting
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Emplode 2.0-beta11 forgets that I've unchecked the ``Import playlists (.m3u files)'' checkbox everytime I restart it.

#87535 - 15/04/2002 07:31 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It shouldn't. Are you exiting emplode fully? The settings aren't written until exit time.

Check in HKCU\Software\SONICblue\emplode\2.0\Import for a WantPlaylists value. Check it's set to zero.

#87536 - 15/04/2002 08:56 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Someone else once reported that they couldn't get the "Config Ini Editing" feaure to turn on. Everything in the registry was correct, but it refused to work. Their solution was to de-install then re-install Emplode, then all was well after that. Perhaps Bitt is having a similar problem?

#87537 - 15/04/2002 12:00 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: Roger]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
It's supposed to remember those settings? I always reset them everytime I open emplode, I thought that was the way it was supposed to be. Learn something new everyday around here.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#87538 - 15/04/2002 12:44 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I am exiting it fully, unless it's got a zombie-like process lying around after the UI is gone. I haven't checked that. And I don't even have an ``Import'' key there. There's an ``ImportDialog'' key there, but it doesn't have a ``WantPlaylists'' value at all.

#87539 - 15/04/2002 12:45 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'll try reinstalling. I'll even delete any registry keys left around, just to be sure.

#87540 - 15/04/2002 13:08 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I just uninstalled from the control panel, verified there were no program files left in /Program\ Files, removed leftover registry stuff, downloaded emplode again, and reinstalled.

I'm still having the same problem.

#87541 - 15/04/2002 14:59 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oh well, it was worth a try, sorry.

#87542 - 15/04/2002 15:23 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It only took 3 minutes and it coulda worked. Hardly worth an apology.

#87543 - 15/04/2002 15:24 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I should add that my Win2k installation is acting real flaky these days. I'm gonna need to reinstall RSN. So Windows itself might be the culprit.

#87544 - 16/04/2002 09:48 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
You could try using the wonderful regmon tool from www.sysinternals.com to see what emplode is doing.

However if you have "impending registry death" then a reinstall as soon as possible would be best...

I have a machine suffering from "impending registry death". It has been running Win2K without a reinstall since Win2K was released, which is quite an achievement in itself. It has been unhappy for a couple of months now, I keep telling myself "reinstall Win2K before you lose stuff", but it's my main workstation and there is just so much to reinstall. So instead I end up rebooting it once a day when things start crapping out.

#87545 - 16/04/2002 21:17 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

So there's a known W2K bug that keeps the registry from working properly? Is that the reason my machine's flaky? (I'm gonna just toss Windows this time anyway and run Linux 24x7, but I'm just curious.)

#87546 - 17/04/2002 01:51 Re: Emplode forgets setting [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Not a known bug as such. If you take a box with decent hardware that has decent drivers, install Win2K on it (or even NT4), install the software you need and then leave it...

...apart from applying the occasional service pack...

...and using the software on it...

...then the chances are it will keep going for ever without registry problems.

However, if your machine is the typical geeks workstation where you are constantly adding and removing software and hardware (not all of which has good drivers) then registry death will probably get you in the end. The problem is less apparent in Win2K than it was in NT4. In NT4 I was lucky if I could make it to nine months before needing a reinstall on my workstations, whereas machines that were just left to get on with it survived the lifetime of NT4.

In Win2K it appears I can go about 2 years before registry death gets me, as I have one workstation at home and also my one at work (on which I run a very different mix of software, but still repeatedly install and reinstall stuff) that are getting close to forcing me to reinstall.

I use Linux as well, and have done since the early days before distributions. If I still used Linux on a workstation I would get into similar problems. Not the same problems, because there is no binary configuration file sitting there that I can't fix when it is broken. I would still get into a similar state though and end up having to reinstall after a couple of years. Sure, in theory I could fix it on Linux, but it would take too much effort to clean up the mess you can get into with library versions and the like.

Again, with Linux this is less than a problem than it used to be, as for example you don't often need to change the major libraries anymore because they are more mature (I remember getting into a fun mess moving to glibc at one point).

I still take a look at Linux occasionally to evaluate it as a workstation OS, but I still prefer Win2K as my workstation OS. I still prefer the Windows UI (even though with Gnome and KDE things are getting more coherent on Linux) and when it comes down to it all the desktop apps that I like run on Windows. I know about the latest Wine developments, but it would still only run a handful of my apps. Try running VS.NET under Wine...

Thankfully I can afford to own several machines, so I can have my cake and eat it, there are two Linux servers in the house as well as my Win2K server, Win2K desktop and Win2K laptop.