Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#88288 - 16/04/2002 00:02 Another one enters the fray - Howdy all!
waltz
new poster

Loc: Meridian,Idaho
Hello to all!

I am a admitted newbie to the Empeg world (have not even received my units yet) but I am very enthusiastic about what I see here and on the other great Empeg sites.

I don't know if the fire sale earlier this year has swelled the community/projects but I am blown away at the support and killer things you all are doing - I hope to dive in with all my spare time (an admitted extremely rare quanitity).

BTW - Tony - just to make sure you get your deserved Kudos from a *real* newbie the FAQ rocks! I would say one of the best I have seen done!

Wish me luck in acquiring a few Empeg beasts and I will quickly be ripping the Blaupunkt San Jose MP3/WMA CD head unit in my Vette to put in a spanky Empeg.

While I was spending all my spare time doing a killer custom install (had every piece of trim and carpet ripped out of the car) around Xmas for this HU I should have pulled my head out of my a** and snagged some of the fire sale units...

Oh well - would not have got here if not for the dedication of the Empeg folks and people that paid *real* money for their babies...

So - see ya'll around but I can't finish without at least one newbie question that I could not find any FAQ entries or posts for:

Anyone recommend a "stopgap" tuner solution for now (i.e.
a small AM/FM radio/CD player with:
- preferably small remote control with backlit display
- and line out until (kudos to pca!) us tunerless folks can be sated a better way!

I can't bear to pay what the Ebay slaughter has been for the real tuners - at least paying double the fire sale for the Empeg units is still reasonable cost for such a fine beast.

I was looking at this Panasonic unit which is close to my needs:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-gwHLjVAqvD7/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=7&g=34200&I=133SLCT489&o=m&a=0

- not clear if it has line out (although I could just set the volume as it is going under a seat hopefuly never to see daylight except for the occasional CD or my wife's passion for NPR). Space is at a premium in my wheels! I was hoping to get something cheap as it reallty will serve a small duty cycle...The CD ability is optional but I figure if I don't get it I will be out in BFE and find a killer CD that I want (or have a friend) and need to get some tunes off the "other kind of platter"...

Let me know if you are a tunerless shmoe like me and have got a portable solution with remote that rocks!

-Walt

#88289 - 16/04/2002 03:53 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: waltz]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
Oh, there are a few of us tunerless shmoe's here. But not for long. Enjoy your new Empeg.........

Edited by Satan_X (16/04/2002 03:53)

#88290 - 16/04/2002 10:35 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: waltz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks for your kind comments regarding the FAQ. I had practice...

Regarding the tuner thing: One of my basic tenets of maintaining the FAQ is to do my best (within reason) to avoid putting stuff into the FAQ that will need to change in a short while. For instance, I could spend a lot of time compiling tuner alternatives, only I'd need to throw it all away in a couple of months when Patrick starts selling kits. Or I could spend a lot of time listing all of the known bugs, only to delete it and start all over again when the next beta comes out. There are exceptions, but for the most part I want the FAQ entries to be solid things that don't change and don't require frequent maintenance. Anything beyond that is handled by this very BBS.

#88291 - 16/04/2002 11:32 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: waltz]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
...I will be out in BFE...

BFE? I've only come accross that term once before and that was at Fred's. Do you frequent there?

#88292 - 16/04/2002 12:03 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: Phoenix42]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
Only once? Thats a very common term around here, its kinda funny couse about 20 miles down the road in the middle of nowhere is a ver small town called egypt

#88293 - 16/04/2002 12:11 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: dodgecowboy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think there's an Egypt in Arkansas. Is that the one you're talking about?

#88294 - 16/04/2002 12:13 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: dodgecowboy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, BFE is a common term where I come from, too.

Considering I actually live in BFE...

#88295 - 16/04/2002 12:14 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: dodgecowboy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'm from Michigan, and there actually is a "Hell, Michigan". It's not too far from Kalamazoo (where the 1st Elvis sighting was). heehee

#88296 - 16/04/2002 12:17 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yeah, well my state has the frog capital of the world.

#88297 - 16/04/2002 12:24 Re: Another one enters the fray - Howdy all! [Re: ]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
Nope, Egypt Mississippi, About 10 Miles north of west point, Which is about 10 miles east of Starkville where I live