Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#89273 - 19/04/2002 06:53 sync issues
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
I've consulted the FAQ and found nothing on the subject, so here goes: I'm having what appears to be multiple issues when I sync my empeg.. I'm using the latest beta of emplode, hijack 2.00b11, and Windows XP. I try to connect to my empeg over usb (only one ethernet card and it's in use) and sometimes it syncs w/out issue, other times it takes some coercing. For example, emplode on startup will sometimes not see the empeg. ok, power down the empeg, restart it, it sees it. that i can deal with. but sometimes it fails during sync, like it can't initially connect (after it's been seen and the empeg icon to load that player's db comes up in the little start-up window of emplode) and the worst of all, after it gets done uploading the mp3s and moves on to rebooting the player, 75% of the time, it doesn't reboot and emplode gets an error. if i manually cycle it and run the sync again it finishes up fine (i think it wants to write something to a db after it powercycles the empeg), but this often has to be done by hand. what gives?

I will try replicating this over ethernet, but if I remember correctly, the same issues cropped up with that. Just want to know if anyone has dealt with this, I wouldn't feel so weird and worried about my empeg if i'm not the only one. thanks!

*clutches his empeg and holds it close to his heart*

#89274 - 19/04/2002 07:50 Re: sync issues [Re: shadow45]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
You should have searched the BBS. You'd have found about 5 threads that state that Windows XP and USB don't play nice.

To be honest, you seem to be having more success than most. I can never get it to work.

We know about it. In the interim, use Ethernet. If you have problems with Ethernet, report those, too.

Edited by Roger (19/04/2002 07:51)

#89275 - 19/04/2002 10:03 Re: sync issues [Re: shadow45]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
...and Windows XP. I try to connect to my empeg over usb...

As was stated elsewhere in this thread, there is a known bug with USB and Windows XP. The work-around is to use ethernet.

...(only one ethernet card and it's in use)...

Then I get the feeling that this ethernet card is connected to another device directly instead of into a hub? The solution is to get a hub, the whole point of ethernet is to connect a whole bunch of devices to the same network. Hubs are quite cheap these days.

after it gets done uploading the mp3s and moves on to rebooting the player, 75% of the time, it doesn't reboot and emplode gets an error. if i manually cycle it and run the sync again it finishes up fine

This is a known bug in the current beta software. It will be fixed in the next beta. When you switch to ethernet, this specific bug will not go away and you will still need to sometimes manually cycle the power on the player at that stage of the synch. However, your other bugs should go away when you switch to ethernet. Let us know how it goes. And by the way, ethernet troubleshooting tips can be found in the "home connections and networking" section of the FAQ.

#89276 - 19/04/2002 11:09 Re: sync issues [Re: tfabris]
shadow45

In reply to:

Then I get the feeling that this ethernet card is connected to another device directly instead of into a hub? The solution is to get a hub, the whole point of ethernet is to connect a whole bunch of devices to the same network. Hubs are quite cheap these days.

I'm quite aware of that A 5 port switched d-link runs around 30-40 dollars. Just haven't had the time to pick one up (I live in a small town in southern florida, the closest electronics store is at least 45 minutes away).
In reply to:

When you switch to ethernet, this specific bug will not go away and you will still need to sometimes manually cycle the power on the player at that stage of the synch. However, your other bugs should go away when you switch to ethernet.

Ok, thanks for the info. Is the sync issue you say I might run into on eth a bug to be fixed soon also? Just wondering.

#89277 - 19/04/2002 11:19 Re: sync issues [Re: Roger]
shadow45

In reply to:

You should have searched the BBS. You'd have found about 5 threads that state that Windows XP and USB don't play nice.

I did, I searched "sync reboot usb". Didn't even stop to think that it could have been XP specific. Regardless, thanks for the insight into the problem.

cheers

#89278 - 22/04/2002 06:55 Re: sync issues [Re: shadow45]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
If you don't want to deal with a hub, you can always use a crossover cable to connect your Empeg directly to your Ethernet card without a hub.