Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#91906 - 04/05/2002 09:16 Display thoughts
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
Hey,

I was just wondering a couple of things about the display. I've read that it's controlled directly from the CPU, rather than through some kind of display controller, so I wondered if either of these ideas were feasible:

FSAA on the display. For those of you who *don't* follow the PC gaming scene (what, all of you?!), FSAA (Full Screen Anti-Aliasing) renders scenes at double (or more) resolution, and then scales them back down, eliminating jagged edges. Is anything like this possible on the empeg? I don't know how it would look...

Secondly, full grayscale images/visuals. As the four levels of grayscale are done by (I believe) pulse width modulation (i.e. flickering the pixels on and off to give a shaded appearance), is there any fundamental reason why this should be limited to four levels?

Just a couple of thoughts - don't know if they're desirable, feasible or practical.

Cheers,

A.
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#91907 - 04/05/2002 09:33 Re: Display thoughts [Re: snoopstah]
tman
carpal tunnel

Don't you need a lot of different colours to implement FSAA? Since you're blending the surrounding pixels to hide the jagged edge. The visuals already seem to be doing some sort of antialiasing anyway but you'll have to ask Toby as he's the guy who knows. And my knowledge of antialiasing techniques is crap to say the least.

You can't have full greyscale for reasons listed here. I think somebody mentioned that you can get possibly 1 or 2 more levels but they weren't that good.

- Trevor

Edited by tman (04/05/2002 09:34)