Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#94365 - 17/05/2002 15:38 general head unit question
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
My Dodge Vans stock cd player only allows the volume to be pumped up so much before it levels it out. I plan to install a FM modaulator to it soon and want to know if the volume on the empeg will also only be allowed to go so high before it levels it out? Going to suck if that's true.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#94366 - 17/05/2002 15:42 Re: general head unit question [Re: Laura]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Levels it out? Explain?

#94367 - 17/05/2002 15:55 Re: general head unit question [Re: tfabris]
Laura
pooh-bah

You can turn the volume control knob on the cd player as much as you want but it only turns the volume up to a certain level and not beyond. I can't blare it.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#94368 - 17/05/2002 16:08 Re: general head unit question [Re: Laura]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Interesting. Never heard of this on a factory radio.

The empeg itself does not have this, it clearly indicates the range of the volume control. As you've already seen, right? It shows the top of the voume scale clearly on the screen, so when you reach it you reach it. But at least it tells you clearly where minimum and maximum are, it doesn't lie about where the top of the scale is.

If you use an FM modulator to send its signal into the factory radio, then you are at the factory radio's mercy as to the volume level. So I guess the answer is, yes, it would still do this as long as the factory radio still did it.

#94369 - 17/05/2002 16:11 Re: general head unit question [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Let me clarify a little bit:

If you are using the empeg with an FM modulator and sending its output to a factory radio, it should be set to its maximum "0db" volume (not overdriven).

Then the volume on the factory radio is used to control the stereo's overall volume. It's what drives the speakers, so you're at its mercy. This isn't the empeg's fault, it's the factory radio's fault.

If this is a problem, you need to ditch the factory radio and install your own amp.

#94370 - 17/05/2002 16:43 Re: general head unit question [Re: tfabris]
Laura
pooh-bah

Crap. I would but it's a company van that will be traded in for a new one in a couple of years. Granted I could buy the van but I don't really want it. So I want to leave the stock stereo and speakers alone. If it ends up sounding bad I'll look into other options.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#94371 - 17/05/2002 16:49 Re: general head unit question [Re: tfabris]
Laura
pooh-bah

In reply to:

Interesting. Never heard of this on a factory radio.

I assume it does it because of cheap factory speakers so you can't blow them out. Or maybe it's to make sure I hear my cell phone over the music and not miss an important call from work.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#94372 - 17/05/2002 19:15 Re: general head unit question [Re: Laura]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I would but it's a company van that will be traded in for a new one in a couple of years.

So?

Do a non-destructive amplifier installation (put it under the passenger seat use velcro and duct tape if you want) and don't break any panels when you are stringing the wires. Replace the factory speakers with good ones. Put a good head unit in the dash. Keep all the old parts. When trade-in time comes, take the amp back out, leave the wires, and put the original radio and speakers back in. Use the amp and the good head unit and speakers the same way on the next company van.

It is not only possible, but quite easy to do a "temporary" high-end stereo installation.

tanstaafl.

#94373 - 17/05/2002 20:05 Re: general head unit question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

If I go the route of amp and replacement speakers I wouldn't need to get a new head unit, would I? I can't afford to do an install like that in both the van and the Nova, I would have to choose one or the other.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#94374 - 17/05/2002 21:10 Re: general head unit question [Re: Laura]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If I go the route of amp and replacement speakers I wouldn't need to get a new head unit, would I?

Right -- I forgot that your original plan was an FM modulator to run the empeg. I was thinking you were replacing the original head unit with the empeg.

You can do it in stages -- first add a cheap 4-channel amp. After a while, you'll want better speakers, so then add a 10" sealed-enclosure subwoofer. Put velcro on the bottom of the box and it will stick pretty good to the carpeting in the van. After a while, you'll want even more speakers of better quality, so replace the front speakers with good quality Bostons or Quarts or Diamonds. Chances are you'll never need to replace the rear speakers, as they will be providing mostly ambient fill.

When trade in time comes, remove the amplifier and the sub, swap out the front speakers, take your empeg and give the car back.

Off Topic: My original plans for my ShoWagon called for an all a/d/s setup. a/d/s is not currently shipping any products, so we changed to Diamond Audio. The system is not built yet, but we have most of the pieces, and my stereo shop man is absolutely blown away by the build quality of the speakers, amplifiers, and crossovers. We haven't listened to them yet (next week!) but if the sound quality matches the build quality (and if they sound anywhere near as good as others have claimed -- Sally, aren't you running Diamond Audio in your MGB?) they should do the job quite well.

tanstaafl.

#94375 - 17/05/2002 22:12 Re: general head unit question [Re: tfabris]
F0X

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I had the same thing in my 2000 Chevy Silverado with the factory HU. You could turn the volume knob either direction as much as you wanted. If you kept turning it lower, the volume would completely silent, but you could keep turning it. Then, if you turn it back up, even a little, the sound comes back in. When you turn it up, the output will reach a certain level and then stay there even if you continue to turn the knob. I actually found that if you turned it as far as the sound would go, and then backed off a few clicks, it would actually be a little louder than at the 'full' level. Dont have to worry about any of that anymore though Just miss the speed compensated volume.