Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95300 - 22/05/2002 15:31 Set/edit PIN outside Empeg, mass set Wendy flags
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
I have just spent some time tagging my collection in order to take advantage of the advanced search/organization/filtering capabilities of the Empeg, and am in need of tips on how to do two things (I have been searching the FAQ and past postings for these without success).

1) How do I set the PIN tag for a tune, other than by using Emplode's properties dialog? Is there any way to work with this tag outside the Empeg? I would like to create PINs for my tunes that are based on some rules that I can implement efficiently in tools that run on the PC and operate on MP3 files on the hard drive.

2) I would like to get a listing of all the tunes that make up a playlist, so that I can do mass setting of Wendy flags. For example, my hierarchy goes PseudoGenre/Artist/Album/tunes, and would like to somehow select all the tunes under a specific PseudoGenre (e.g., rock) for mass application of a Wendy flag (e.g., this is rock even if the genre is reggae). Is there perhaps an advanced search term I could use?

Would appreciate any pointers. My apologies if these are obvious things or things that have been discussed before. I couldn't get at either of these after several hours of searching/experiementing.

#95301 - 22/05/2002 16:02 Re: Set/edit PIN outside Empeg, mass set Wendy flags [Re: jules]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
How do I set the PIN tag for a tune, other than by using Emplode's properties dialog?

If you're willing to muck about with source code, the Emptool sources give all of the necessary information to do your own custom uploading and modification scripts. You could write code to assign PINs based on any rules you liked. I've even heard of people writing Perl scripts to do this sort of thing.

Otherwise Emplode and Jemplode are the only things that let you edit the data in the player's song database short of modifying the *1 files directly on the player by hand, but that's even more trouble than using Emplode or Jemplod since it's just a random list of numbers at that point.

Note that most people don't bother to assign a PIN to every single tune or playlist in their database. If you need to find a specific song, you can punch in its title quite easily. The player was designed to be easy to use even without PINs. The PIN feature was meant for you to assign the occasional quick-access-code to only a few very common things.

I mean, yes, you can use the PINs the way you're planning on doing it, but it just seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth to do all of that cataloging, especially the after-the-fact maintenance required every time the collection changes. I'd rather just upload the songs to my player and let the search features help me find what I want.

To each his own, though. If you want to do all-PINs, be my guest. I'm just saying you might want to try just using playlists and searches for a while, and see if they meet your needs.

I would like to get a listing of all the tunes that make up a playlist, so that I can do mass setting of Wendy flags.

I believe this can be done in Jemplode. You can have it tag certain tunes with an alternate color, then pick those out of the All Tracks view. Not sure if Jemplode lets you set Wendy flags yet or not. Perhaps it can even be done with an advanced search in Emplode, but I don't know how at the moment.

Although again, I think that sounds like overkill. Wendy filters weren't meant to be a subsitute for Genre selection. If you want to play a certain genre, just play that playlist or do a genre search. If you tend to want to play all BUT a certain genre, then just make a playlist that's got all but that genre in it and play that playlist. Wendy flags are more for things like "Songs that my girlfriend doesn't like" and "Songs I wouldn't dare play when my mom comes over for Thanksgiving Dinner".

#95302 - 22/05/2002 19:40 Re: Set/edit PIN outside Empeg, mass set Wendy flags [Re: tfabris]
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
Thank you for the information. I did not know that the Emplode source code was available. This is great news. Will get my hands on it just for curiosity, and perhaps add the functionality I need if I can follow what is already there. The examples I used in the msg are not necesarily my end goal. Its just the easiest way for me to explain what I would like to be able to do.

#95303 - 22/05/2002 20:00 Re: Set/edit PIN outside Empeg, mass set Wendy flags [Re: jules]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I did not know that the Emplode source code was available.

It isn't. The EMPTOOL source code is available, which is the Linux command-line tool that uploads songs to the player.

This isn't to say that it's not still useful to you. They made Jemplode by reading the Emptool sources, so you can do a lot with it if you're clever.

You could also look at the Jemplode sources I think (can he?).

#95304 - 23/05/2002 00:59 Re: Set/edit PIN outside Empeg, mass set Wendy fla [Re: tfabris]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

You could also look at the Jemplode sources I think (can he?).

Yes (from http://www.jempeg.org).

#95305 - 23/05/2002 02:38 Re: Set/edit PIN outside Empeg, mass set Wendy fla [Re: tfabris]
pdw
stranger

Is there any way to set Wendy flags using either emptool or JEmplode? I don't have easy access to a Windows desktop, so I am unable to run Emplode.