Hi.

This may sound completely stupid, but I really wonder if it would be possible to have say 500-1000 empegs manufactured by SonicBlue/somebody else, if someone (might even be me) came up with the necessary money. I mean, if SonicBlue drops the MkII, why shouldn't someone else step out, buy the design and keep producing them?
I do know that the machines would have to be re-tooled as the old molds etc. are worn out, and I do know perfectly well that this is an expensive task. However, I really would like to check the possibility to do so. If the numbers/costs should not be disclosed, this is fine with me, I would sign a NDA to get the basic info.
What I would like to know is:
How expensive would the re-tooling be, and for how many units would this be good? I would guess this is something along the 75,000UKP line and good for approx. 3000 units.
How expensive is the production of batches of 500 players, excluding the harddiscs? I would guess this is at about 300UKP per player, plus the shared cost of the retooling.
I am not looking for exact numbers (yet), but I would like to see some estimates for this. I might be able and willig to get the necessary funds, especially if we get the navigation software project going. An empeg with GPS and navigation software would really be a killer for any car. And it wouldn't look too expensive anymore either, as other nav systems are in the same price category and do not contain MP3 functionality (yet), especially not at that quality level.
If someone from SonicBlue/empeg would tell me those estimates, but doesn't want them to be discussed in the open, please contact me by email (preferably at [email protected]).

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)