Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#320956 - 02/04/2009 16:04 Bandwidth caps
drakino
carpal tunnel

This one should be interesting to watch. Time Warner Cable, after having tried tiered pricing in some podunk town, is now going to roll it out to a city with one of the highest concentrations of tech workers in the US. Can't want to see this one blow up, considering their base cap is 40GB.
Quote:
“86 percent of our customers at least have nothing to worry about,” Dudley said, “That’s the percentage of customers that will be left unaffected by the trial.” I asked if that’s in comparison to Beaumont and whether that’s a very different market. He replied, “Internet usage is a lot like television viewing. It doesn’t vary from geographic area to geographic area.”

I'm looking forward to telling Time Warner Cable off over this one when I move in May. I'll be looking for a new place serviced by a local ISP that actually used forward thinking and rolled out a fibre network years ago to deal with growing demands of a streaming internet age.

Oh, and this is amusing:
Quote:
DSLReports notes that the cities getting tiered pricing are ones in which Verizon FIOS service is not available.

#320960 - 02/04/2009 18:03 Re: Bandwidth caps [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, that figures. FIOS is kicking these guys' assess.

Comcast's 200GB cap is almost reasonable, and clearly just meant to limit bittorrent.

Frankly, these claims about what their customers need are probably accurate. But these companies are getting ready for the future. They don't make nearly as much money on bits as they do on services (like premium cable), and they're seeing everything moving towards using more bits. Hulu, iTunes downloads, HD Netflix streaming, etc are all becoming more popular and are using more bandwidth than ever. As these services become more prominent and the quality improves, they'll use more and more data, and suddenly 200GB is going to be easy to hit. 40GB is really easy to hit right now if you use the services I mentioned.

Frankly, it's time to get rid of some of this anti-competition stuff for cable. I've heard nothing but bad things about Time Warner in every aspect of their service, but they're the only game in the towns they're in. FIOS is going to kill these companies. I love having it in my home.