This forum always struck me as being populated by a worldly, well traveled lot - so I wanted to ask this here.

Soon (the end of May) I will be driving to LA from the south suburbs of Chicago (Crete, Il). Now, I'm purposely driving (even though flying would be cheaper) because I've never been further west than Iowa and I want to have some fun. What I'm looking for is some advice on the best route.

Here's the rough outline of my plan: Leave Crete whenever, Crete to LA, Arrive in LA on the 28th or 29th, stay in LA with friends for a day or two, drive to Vegas with said friends and stay the weekend, return home at my leisure. I want to keep the trip as cheap as possible, so I'm gonna throw a mattress in the back of my van and sleep in there whenever possible.

Mapquest tells me that the Mapquest suggested route is about 2000 miles fromhere to LA - I'd be willing to add, say, 500 miles to that on the in the name of a more interesting drive. The trip back, I'd be willing to add much more, if I had enough money left after Vegas for the gas to do so.

There is nothing in particular I want to see; I'm completely open to suggestions. I would definitely like to make the ride back as different as possible from the ride there - you know, variety, and all that.

Opinions?