Let's say you had an infinite amount of money to spend on a home theatre arrangement that had to have the following features:

- Large LCD/Plasma/Projector.
- Minimal physical media -- we've got about 200 DVDs, and they're taking up a lot of physical space.
- At least 5.1 audio.
- Recording and playback of DVB/DVT.
- BlueRay support.
- Easy to use: wife-compatible and toddler-safe.

...what would you buy? Now you've decided that, what would you buy if your budget was more modest, say £2K?

This year, my resolution is to get a bigger TV, and to get rid of the physical CDs and DVDs, as far as possible. I'll probably want to throw an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 into the mix as well. I'm leaning towards MythTV, but it was a PITA to set up the last time I tried, and Windows Media Center was much nicer to look at and use, but requires that the PVR cards be in the same PC.

We already have a Samsung 32" LCD TV, which will suffice for now -- although I'd like to upgrade to 37" or 40" later in the year. We have a crappy Sony compact Hifi. We have a Humax PVR and a Toshiba DVD player.

I'd also like to cut down on the number of cables emanating from the back of the TV, because they're ugly, and it's much easier to chase a smaller number of cables into the wall (plaster on solid brick, by the way).