Two days ago my TomTom GPS quit working.

I've had it two or three years, it is a low-end model, bought at fire-sale price (about $80), discontinued because it lacked sufficient memory to upgrade to the latest maps. Quite a few people "bricked" their new units trying to upgrade to a newer map. Turns out you had to delete extraneous stuff first (alternate voices, unnecessary geographic regions, stuff like that) before there was room for the new map, and if you didn't, you were done for.

Anyway, now when I turn it on, it fires right up with the TomTom logo, then you can Continue to the "Nanny Screen" that tells you not to use it while you're driving (?!), then Continue to the "User Information" screen (owner's name, address, phone number), and that's as far as I can get. Pressing "Continue" at that point does nothing. The TomTom software on the computer doesn't see the device, nor does Windows Explorer, so reflashing the firmware seems not to be an option.

Driving in Guadalajara without a GPS is simply terrifying, so I think I am going to have to buy a new one.

A screen larger than the 4.3" screen on mine would be nice. It has to come with Mexican maps, or at least have them available, and must speak to me in English. I should be able to switch between kilometers and miles.

What I do NOT want are lots of features that make the user interface complicated. I don't need to know where the next gas station is, or restaurant or hotel or airport.

I also have a Garmin Novi GPS whose user interface is so frustrating that the device has gathered dust in a drawer for several years. A few examples of frustration: In Mexico there are more revolutionary heroes than there are roads, so as a result there are five different places, miles apart, in Guadalajara with the address "3500 Juarez". With the Garmin, you cannot enter the address unless you know the name of the "Colonia" or neighborhood where the address is located. The TomTom displays them and lets you take your choice. When you come to a Glorieta or roundabout as it is called in other places, the Garmin says "Turn right on Juarez Street". There might be seven different exits from the Glorieta, NONE of them with identifying signs. Good luck with that! The TomTom changes the screen to an enlarged picture of the Glorieta, tells me take the 4th exit, draws a red line along the proper path, and puts a yellow triangle showing the current position of my car within the Glorieta.

I don't know who makes the maps that are in my Garmin, but the TomTom maps by NavTeq, old and out of date as they are, are greatly superior. Oh, there are still problems occasionally, such as when the TomTom tells me to go the wrong way on a one-way street, or turn left while on an elevated section of divided highway, onto a street that is 30 feet below me.

Does anyone have recommendations for a simple, basic GPS unit for my car? I looked on Amazon and there seem to be literally thousands of choices, many more than I can deal with.

tanstaafl.