Could someone explain dual core what it means for processors today? I'm sure the concept is pretty simple (it's like...two cores...instead of one...), but I want to state what I understand about it, and see how far off I am. (also, where do you guys usually go to read about PC hardware technology?)

Basically, from the little I've heard, later this year AMD will release four dual core processors (the Athlon X2 line). They will be around the speed of their current single core counterparts, or a little slower, but with two cores does that mean that basically they're twice as fast? Or is that not technically true? That's where I wonder what the technology means.

As for the computer that I hope to build within a few months, here's what I'm thinking it means for me. In the past, it wasn't really feasible to get in on a new CPU technology at the very low end, then upgrade to the high end a couple years later. The performance increase wouldn't make it financially smart. But now, the X2 line will work in socket 939 motherboards (w/BIOS upgrade). That means there will probably be a huge difference in the 3000+ and, say, the 4800+, a difference that would make a future upgrade when the price comes down.

So, please correct my horrible misconceptions