Is there a known problem with the USB connectivity for the Rio Car in Windows XP?

I'm using 2.0b11, which is the first version of Emplode I've installed on XP (I installed XP for the first time last weekend).

When I boot into Win98 on the same machine it works fine.

When I launch Emplode and get to the Select Player window, the icon for "John's empeg on USB" either does not come up at all, or comes up within a few seconds (if it doesn't come up, it will come up the next time if I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in). When it does come up, then I immediately get one of the following error messages when I click on OK:

"There doesn't appear to be a player connected."
or
"The player appears to no longer be connected."

It works fine if I use my COM port, but of course that would take forever to transfer music.

XP does not indicate that there is a problem with the USB driver for the Empeg. When the driver first automatically installed when I plugged in the USB cable, XP asked me if I was sure that I wanted to install the driver, since it was not XP certified, and I of course said Yes. The "Rio Car" item shows up in my Device Manager under the USB Controllers section with no error indications, and the Properties for it says "This device is working properly." The Properties dialog also says that the driver date is 1/3/2001, that the driver file is "c:\windows\system32\drivers\riohd.sys", and that the driver file version is 2.0-beta3 (kind of strange considering that I'm using 2.0 beta 11, but I guess the USB driver hasn't been updated in a while).

I have tried unplugging my USB cable, then removing the Rio Car USB driver, then reinstalling Emplode 2.0b11, and then plugging the USB cable back in and going through the steps of accepting the USB driver when XP asks. But it doesn't help, and neither does rebooting.

I tried going back to 2.0b7, and that has the same problem.

Then I installed the old 1.03 version of Emplode, which uses c:\windows\system32\drivers\empegcar.sys for the USB driver (shows as version 1.02, and also shows as "empeg-car" instead of "rio-car"). And 1.03 detected the player!!! (But it wouldn't let me get very far, since of course it told me that my player had a software version that was too new since I had the 2.0b11 upgrade on it.)

But then when I reinstall 2.0b11, I have the same problem as before (even when I specifically chose the old "empeg-car" driver in Device Manager instead of the newer "rio-car" driver).

Arghhh!!! Any ideas? I guess I'm getting rid of XP if it's not gonna work with my Empeg.

(If anyone's interested, I'm attaching the Emplode debug log files I get for when it can't see my player at all and for when I get each of the two error messages.)

(This is similar to the following thread:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=bigs&Number=43119)

(Sorry that the attachment isn't working... I'm not sure why. If anyone wants to see the debug log files just let me know.)

Attachments
69508-Emplode 2.0b11 log files for USB connectivity failure.zip (64 downloads)

Edited by jklenk (14/02/2002 22:07)