So, the next question is: is there enough CPU power to run flite, decode mp3s and mix the two all at the same time. If not, we may be stuck with running flite to generate temp files and then mix them. That would add a short delay, but shouldn't be too bad.

That's exactly the approach I'd take. Let flite do its work in the background at a relatively low priority, and when it's complete, play the result.

I have little or no use for the "prerecorded TTS" strategy. The main thing I want TTS for is so my emptriv game can read questions and answers, and provide voice responses to correct/incorrect answers. So on long trips, I can play it without looking at my screen. It would be impractical to generate WAV files for thousands of trivia questions, so real-time TTS is ideal.

I also thought it would be neat if GPSapp used flite to speak directions to the user, and I still think that strategy is better than having to transfer a bunch of WAV files over to your Empeg when you save a route. But since I'm not a contributor to GPSapp, nor do I have a GPS receiver right now, that's not as big on my agenda.