In reply to:

In fact, I've seen it done. Not as a Windows Networking client, but as a device driver which translates all of the hexadecimal-named music files into the actual song names and makes those visible over FTP.

Yeah... well this was supposed to be phase one. The technology isn't overly secretive... I'd just not tip off empeg if they were gonna do something about it. I'd rather reap my own harvest and keep it private.

In reply to:

Although, Kureg, if you write this as a Windows Networking client, I would love it. Please allow it to serve up regular files in addition to music files so that I can use the Empeg as a multimegabyte taxi disk. It'd save me having to burn multisession CD-R's to take between home and work.

Well, Samba seems to be open source (correct me if I'm wrong). I was considering scaling Samba down so that it wasn't so piggy, but still was able to serve out files for this purpose. Can't say for sure what I intended, only that I was fairly certain I could do it.

In fact, any Linux guru probably could. Want my real question is would empeg have a problem if I shared it with everyone else. If I did take that effort, I would attempt to make it more empeg friendly to set up than the Samba distribution, so that empeg people can benefit it with little to no setup hassles (and little to no Linux knowledge, etc).

Of course, I gotta get one first! #&%#@!$

Kureg