Well, Samba seems to be open source (correct me if I'm wrong). I was considering scaling Samba down so that it wasn't so piggy, but still was able to serve out files for this purpose. Can't say for sure what I intended, only that I was fairly certain I could do it.

In fact, any Linux guru probably could. Want my real question is would empeg have a problem if I shared it with everyone else. If I did take that effort, I would attempt to make it more empeg friendly to set up than the Samba distribution, so that empeg people can benefit it with little to no setup hassles (and little to no Linux knowledge, etc).

Well, I have Samba running on my Mk2 and it shows up in the Network Neighbourhood as other machines in the network. You can transfer files to/from empeg at around 650KB/sec (that is kilobytes per second) and life is fun.

But it doesn't miraculously appear to the Network Neighbourhood by just saying a magic word to empeg while it's playing MP3's. So, at the moment it requires some Linux hackery before it works and is likely to stay like that as it works fine for me and I don't have too much time to start tuning it more user friendly. But if and when someone's working on that, feel free to consult me if I can help in any way.

Kim