700 songs! Wow! I hope you plan on contributing those to the LRC database that some folks are developing! That would be sweet.

No, you don't have to re-enter them. But the problem with those plugins is they mangle your MP3's. You might not notice it, but the Lyrics3 tag they're using causes a lot of MP3 decoders to stutter or choke. I believe the empeg decoder is smart enough to skip over these tags without a problem (or, maybe more likely, the lyrics data is so short that it's not noticable) but in my case, I don't want to bother with them when there's a more proper specification (ID3v2) which guarantees the data is written to the MP3 in such a way that nothing gets mangled. This is especially important to ensure gapless playback on albums.

But back to the lecture at hand. I'm not sure what WinAMP plugin you used, but it should have an option to export the tag to LRC format. Once you have them exported, you need to run the lrc2sylt utility which is in the Windows ZIP file on my page, or if you're running Linux at home, the Linux version is included with emphatic. I guess you'd also want to remove the Lyrics3 tag from your MP3's at that point.

Sadly I didn't build multiple file support into it, it just does one file at a time. I wa hoping someone out there would be writing either a WinAMP plugin which writes proper lyrics tags, or a GUI-based utility that could do the same job of adding the LRC files to the MP3's as proper ID3 fields. I think Oliver said he's give a shot, but I haven't heard anything recently. So for now, my cheesy command-line program is the only game in town. The author of MP3 Tag Studio threatened to include ID3v2 lyrics support in one form or another, but don't hold your breath.

The other option is, of course, to stay with 1.01, or find the 1.10 binary with the old tag library which I built last night for testing purposes (I linked to it earlier in this thread.) I am not going to officially support that version, but it should work for you until you can convert your MP3's to the new format. The tag library in 1.01 was real slow in reading tags, so I'm ditching it in the future. But I don't want to leave you hanging out to dry, either.

This was all explained in the README file, incidentally, so please don't go cutting my car's brake line because you have to do something manual to get your MP3's to work with future versions of emphatic!