I didn't follow that you'd want to have the laptop and the empeg talking while in the car away from the house. Makes enough sense, though.

It's too bad that that's where all the configuration troubles will arise.

What I mean by not well supported is this: There are two main ways to create an 802.11b network. One is with an access point. It creates a network name and 802.11b clients see that and can attach to it. Then there's another mode called ad-hoc mode. Vendors now claim that it's just for demonstration purposes, and many vendors' drivers don't support it at all. Even when they do, it's apparently not tested as much as the AP mode.

In addition, you have to manually switch between ad-hoc mode and AP mode. I don't even know if the WET11 will work in ad-hoc mode at all. (Actually, I just checked the manual and it looks lile it will.)

I don't think that 802.11b will work in a cellular sort of mode where you can have multiple APs servicing the same network, either. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

As I see it, the most transparent way for you to do this is to have an AP in the car. Then you'd also need a way to connect that AP to your house. If you don't have any other wireless devices, you might be able to do this by having an AP set in client mode in the house, but I don't know how well that would deal with the AP constantly coming and going. In addition, that means that you couldn't have wireless devices in the house work transparently while the AP in the car is gone. I don't know if that's a concern.

If you want to have it all work transparently all the time, you're looking at spending a lot of money. At first thought, you'd have to get an AP for the car, an AP at home, and then some way to connect the two, which at a thought, might require another AP on each side.

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong about multiple APs not being a possibility. I don't really know for sure.