MBTI is not bullshit. Who wrote the descriptions that you are talking about, Tony? I have read all of the type descriptions from a number of different sources. (I've also studied the theory.) Some of them are quite good and some of them are terrible. If you thought they sounded like horiscopes and could apply to everyone then what you read was not written by a good author.

If you want to read good type descriptions then try "Please Understand Me" by Kiersy, Bates. If you want a more academic background then read "Types Differing" by Myers, Briggs.

I haven't looked in a while, but last time I want looking on the net for MBTI information I found the descriptions and tests to be poor. Don't make judgements based on what you read online.

Of course, 16 personality types is too broad to describe people. It would require [insert world population] types to be accurate. But these 16 types aren't arbitrary or based on mystical voodoo like horoscopes or the enneagram. It's very possible that you don't have a strong preference on one or more axis. If so, then the descriptions of a particular type will tend to be less accurate. If you read the books I mention above you'll also learn that the theory is deeper then distilling it down to a single type for each person.

The point is not to perfectly describe people with one of sixteen different descriptions. Myers, Briggs and all the others who have created, refined and researched these theories aren't idiots. Unfortunately, the application of their theory is sometimes practiced by idiots - such as making hiring decisions based on personality type.

I have found an understanding of MBTI to be quite useful in my life. I can accurately peg sometime's type without a lot of difficulty. It's useful in giving me a broad understanding of what motivates them, predicting how they are going to act, and allowing me to be effective in interacting with them. You are the one who is losing out on a richer understanding of yourself and others if you dismiss it.

I'm an INFP, BTW.

-Dylan