In reply to:

I think that people who have trouble learning a computer task may have a multitude of different reasons for it, not just a position on one end of an MBTI axis.

I didn't say that every person in the world who had difficulty learning a computer task was due to where they fall in the MBTI S vs. N scale. I gave a specific example where that was true.

In reply to:

I see that your choice of step-by-step instructional style worked for teaching your mom, but a step-by-step instructional style works well for a lot of people. Most people, in fact.

The majority of the population are the S type. Your experience supports that. You say most people learn better with step by step instructions. That's a way of classifying people. Why is that any different then classifying them as an S? Don't you believe that this need for step by step instruction could be part of larger model of thinking that some people have?

In reply to:

By saying that "MBTI told me she was an S, and I changed my teaching style to step-by-step, therefore MBTI is useful", you're simply showing confirmation bias via a testimonial. There's nothing scientific or testable to back up your claim that the N/S axis is the reason that she responded well to a step-by-step teaching style.

Of course it's a testimonial. That was the point of my post. I wanted to take it away from being a way of labeling people into 16 buckets and showing real world applications. Then again, being that you clearly fall into the T axis I should have realized that this would be an ineffective argument for you. Being that I'm an F, shared experience and relationships tend to carry more weight then less personal arguments. I did suggest some books to read for T's like you. You'll find it more to your liking then my anecdotes I'm sure.

-Dylan