You should also check out the VW GTI then. Surprisingly useful trunk space. Get the 1.8T and chip it (~$500), will give you ~210HP. If you're looking to autocross it then I guess you're going to consider suspension changes to any car that you buy.
I haven't looked at the reliability ratings, but there has been only 2 major reliability issues that I can think of. 2000-2001 models had window regulators that could fail, and the window would drop into the door. They've since changed the regulator design, and I haven't seen any reports of the new one failing.

If you're even going to consider a GTI, at your price point, don't even bother to look at the 1.8T, go straight to the VR6, much nicer ride, well worth the extra $3000. 200hp, 6 speed, and electronic stabilization. Or better yet, since your warranty doesn't expire till february, wait till the R32 comes to the US (due in sometime between October and December). 240hp with all wheel drive. Should be nice.

As for the cars you listed, after watching what my friends go through, I'd avoid any Mitsubishi product. The tacky interiors, combined with the late night phonecalls from the side of the road have completely turned me off of even looking at their cars. My dad just got a WRX wagon (which he looks ridiculous in). I like how it drives, but the seats are not capable of adjusting into a position that I feel comfortable in.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony