I'm intrigued by the Golf R32 (and the corresponding Audi TT) with their nifty computer-controlled manual transmission, but the reliability numbers for Volkswagen/Audi products are exceptionally low, no doubt skewed by the engine problems they've had recently. I also looked at an Audi TT back in 2000 when I ended up getting my BMW. I kept bumping my head every time I got in, and I was freaked by the huge blind spot behind the driver. Sorry, no VW/Audi products for me.

The Mitsubishi Evo's reliability is also a concern. Consumer Reports seems to love the Subaru Imprezza (WRX or not), and they have relatively lower ratings on the Mitsubishi Lancer (non-Evo). Says the Lancer blurb: Interior appointments look and feel insubstantial. Handling is clumsy, the ride is just tolerable, and road noise is pronounced. Presumably, they've souped up the suspension and all, but have they substantially changed the appointments or road noise issues?

As such, the WRX STi seems to dominate the Lancer Evo. Once the dust settles and the massive dealer markups go away, an interesting point of comparison between them will be the performance/price ratio. Nobody's done a side-by-side comparison of the two cars yet.

(And, I just can't get the siren song of a rotary engine out of my head, even though I can get much faster conventional cars for the same money. Grumble.)