Regarding the 'WAIT' message:

There are three states the AF debugger screen can be in, and each state relates to the number of frequencies in the alternate frequency list or the range of strength readings.

DORMANT - This state is achieved by there being no alternative frequencies in the list. The message associated with this state is "No AF information currently avilable"

WAITING - This state is achieved by the range of strength readings from the freqencies in the list equaling zero (i.e. strongest reading - weakest reading = 0). The message associated with this state is "Insufficient AF information available, WAIT".

ACTIVE - This state is achieved by both other states not being satisfied - i.e. the AF list has some alternate frequencies in it, and the range of signal strength readings is not zero.

Note that the WAITING state can be achieved by two possible scenarios: If there is only one frequency in the AF list then the range of signal strength readings will be zero - If there are multiple frequencies in the AF list, but they all have the same signal strength (perhaps the initialisation value of zero) then the range will also be zero.

So one of two things is going on with your player - either the signal strength measurements are not happening, or always returning the same value, or the AF list is not getting populated properly. I think the former is the more likely problem.