I don't know if you people up north know what kind of bright, sunny days we're talking about , but I think that DRLs become more dangerous in this bright sunlight.
I don't know what kind of bright sunny days you're talking about, but when I'm driving on Highway 84 through nowhereville NM, and I need to pass a semi going 45 in a 65, I find that it's much easier to see a vehicle that's 1/4 mile down the road or so when they have DRLs. When it's the middle of the day and the heat rising off the road distorts one's vision a ways down, making out the shape of a car can be extremely difficult. But seeing the DRLs eliminates all question as to whether or not I'm going to cause a head-on by passing. I find myself in that scenario quite a lot in the back highways of New Mexico and I've noted to myself many times how the DRLs have been beneficial; but of course, that scenario is a very specific one. And those particular driving conditions are the only conditions that I have noticed the benefit of DRLs in.

I've also never noticed DRLs being too bright during the day. Even if someone was shining their high beams directly at me in the oncoming lane - there's no way it could ever be brighter than the sun shining directly in my face. I find that I'm often much more distracted by sunlight reflecting off of some freshly polished chrome or off a windshield.

- trs