On Saturday, I decided to go do some test driving, but I first called ahead to make sure I wouldn't be wasting my time.

- I called three local Volvo dealers about the S60-R. Two told me I'd have to buy one to drive it, end of story. A third took my name and number, saying they expected one would be coming in September and I could drive it then (assuming it doesn't get purchased first).

- I called three Infiniti dealers about the G35 Coupe. Two, again, told me I'd have to buy one to drive it, complete with all kinds of bad attitude. A third said they had a G35 Coupe, automatic, and a G35 Sedan, manual, and that I could try both to get a sense of what they might be like together. I left my name and number there, saying to call me when they get the car I might eventually like.

- The first Mazda dealer I called had a whole mess of RX-8's in stock. Sure, come on in and test drive it.

Since that Mazda dealer was also right next door to the Acura dealer, I went and drove a manual TSX and a manual RX-8, one after the other.

First, the TSX. I've always had 5-speeds, so six gears took a little getting used to. Sixth gear was down and just to the right of fifth, which took some work to get comfortable with. Nonetheless, the car was actually quite nice to drive. Humming along at 4000rpm didn't feel any different than 2000rpm. It's a very smooth engine. Unlike my current BMW six cylinder, this engine requires you to get your gear selection right. Even at 80mph on the freeway, there's a massive difference between 5th and 6th gears. (5th is great, 6th has no torque). Also, there was absolutely zero hint of any torque steer. None at all.

I also got a chance to play my standard "stereo torture" CD on the stereo. I have to give Acura a big thumbs down there. The bass goes low, which is nice and all, but it's boomy and the midrange/treble is just awful. If I bought this car, I'd immediately run out and drop a pile of money on good speakers. Performance is definitely above the bar, modulo the need to choose your gears wisely. Besides, it's just a Honda. In a year, there will be five vendors offering bolt-on supercharger kits. As I was discussing the car's need for aftermarket performance mods, the sheepish salesman shoved a piece of paper at me saying I needed to sign this waiver acknowledging that I was responsible if I damaged the car.

The Mazda RX-8 is quite an intriguing car, technically, but it doesn't live up to the hype once you get in. I bumped my head every time I tried getting in or out of the car. My (5 foot tall) fiancée fit into the back seat just fine, but you'd have to be on crack to say that it could fit larger people better than any other cramped sportscar. When you drive the thing, it's fun, but not actually all that fast. I was happily revving it up to 9000rpm, setting off the over-rev bell (and freaking the salesman), but it didn't really have much pull. My Z3 undeniably out-accelerates the RX-8. Also, the RX-8 makes a bunch of noise when you spool up the engine, versus the more mild-mannered (but every bit as fast) TSX. The transmission and clutch were wonderful. Both the TSX and RX-8 have beautiful short-throw 6-speed transmissions. My fiancée reports that my shifts were much jerkier on the RX-8 than on the TSX, although Mazdas are known to take some getting used to. On the RX-8, I ended up in 4th gear several times when I was trying to hit 6th. At least the engine has plenty of headroom so you won't blow it up or anything.

The RX-8 has a mean blind-spot from the driver-side B-pillar, whereas the TSX has fantastic visibility, all around. When I went to do a 60-0 panic stop (on an otherwise empty side street, giving plenty of warning to my passengers), the tires squealed and I didn't feel any of the usual ABS pumping. Very disturbing. The TSX, for contrast, performed exactly as you'd expect.

Also, the RX-8 trunk, with donut spare tire hanging from the roof, is astonishingly small. It's more like what you'd expect from a two-seat roadster rather than a four seat / four door car. The TSX, as you'd expect, has a massive trunk, plus the back seats nicely fold down giving you tons of continuous storage space if you want it.

Lastly, the Mazda/Bose "AudioPilot" stereo sounds remarkably good for a factory stereo. It's nowhere near a Volvo stereo, but I wouldn't be racing out to replace the factory speakers. Unfortunately, there's just no way to replace the factory head unit nor to wedge in an empeg. Also, when were listening to the stereo, with the car idling in the parking lot and A/C running (this is Texas in August, after all), the engine idle was really rough, noticably bumping us around in the car.

Next up, I want to test drive the ricer-boy cars (Subaru WRX STi and/or Mitsubishi Lancer Evo) and the Volkswagen Golf R32. At some point, I may even get up the courage to check out the Pontiac GTO. I've always hated GM cars, but this one was designed by Holden, so it might be better. I might even need to humor robricc and test drive a Saab.

Current short list: Lexus IS-300, Acura TSX
Eliminated: Mazda RX-8