In reply to:

Guess what? In the US at least (can't speak for the Brittish, I live for Brittish customers) the customer created most of this attitude..... arrogant prick customers (who are probably decent people before and after they walk through the door) tomorrow.

Do you think people undergo a personality transplant when they walk into your showroom? We have been conditioned by years of dealing with wretched car salesman. Blaming customers - who don't act like this in other situations - is absurd.

In reply to:

Do people tell you every day how much money you're entitled to make? Half the people I deal with in a day have determined I'm entitled to no more than 1-3% gross markup on my product, no matter what the demand for it. We can make it up in volume. There 's a limitless number of people buying a new car in any given month. And our rent, electric, and labor is free. Try telling this to any other merchant. Oh wait, I forgot, places like jewelers, clothing stores and optometrists are entitled to 200-400% markup on their product without argument.

You'd avoid this bullshit as well as most of the confrontational attitude you get from customers if you'd just post a final sales price and eliminate the negotiating. Everyone knows the dealerships goal is to prey on ignorance and confusion as much as possible to extract the highest price from the consumer. Fine, you're entitled to do business that way but expect the consumers to consider you the enemy. If I had to bargain with my optomotrist then I would consider him an adversary, too.

-Dylan