Hi guys, I've arleady written squash, for the linux console:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/squash/

I always had in mind to port it to the Empeg. And I've spent the last week and a half with final success. Right now it can run without any interface and play both mp3's and ogg's. I'm going to be working on the interface next.

I have some questions though. What is the best way to get my player, squash, to run instead of the default player. The trick is, though that I would like the player to run first and then maybe go to the quit menu -- after the player exits I'd like squash to start up.

The reason I'd like the player to still run is mainly just so it runs dhcp, and also since squash isn't completely finished yet. I wouldn't mind having some sort of option settable through hijack, so long as it's fool proof (since for some reason my serial port stopped working, so if I don't have an IP address I'm pretty screwed). And obviously the player does have to go away, or else it eats too many resources.

Ok, so the second question is that I have found documentation for accessing the display, that's no problem. (Though I haven't found any code for rendering text, but I haven't looked hard). But I'm having problems finding info on the buttons. I just need the basic ones for right now. And do I have to (or is it better) to use it through hijack or not? (What little info I found has confused me here).

So if anyone can give me any pointers I should be able to finish this port soon. I'm very excited about it .

Oh, and excuse me if I'm stepping on anyone by wanting to replace the player. There are only two things that I have problems with the original player (and otherwise it is very very nice). One is the lack of OGG support. The second is the use of that annoying database, and the lack of good automatic song picking (I am not a fan of playlists).

So thanks for any info. I'm going to keep looking myself.

p.s. The current version of squash does not have the current empeg partial port -- if you want a copy let me know.