Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

First, I used vfdlib with good success, now the display tells you the player is loading and how many songs have loaded. Then it says what song you are on. Now I'm trying to do buttons. And I assume it's an ioctl on/dev/display, from the code snippets I've seen.

However, every seems to have a copy of the hijack source -- but I cannot find it anywhere . What's with that? Am I that bad at googling?

Also, what do you mean vfdlib will be obsolete, exactly? Finally, new version of the player?? Ok, now I'm confused. I thought with Rio being closed down the developers had to go do other things?

I knew that the player -was- going to have OGG but the primary motivation for making this alternative was for that support. Now you guys are telling me that there is a 3.0 in the works? Well don't worry, I'm still going to work on this port. For the least it makes sending files to the player easier, since I don'twant to enforce that database structure for the files.

On that note, would it be a big deal to not support the database format? It would be easy for squash to read the directory, it already can. And with little modification I can have it tell if the file is an mp3/ogg or not (right now it just looks at the filename).

However, for mp3s (which is the only thing that will be in current users database list since there is no current OGG support) I would have to either read the metainfo in the database format.

Or else I would have to get id3lib to compile to read the tag directly (squash can do this on the PC, but the exectutable may grow quite a bit if I include a C++ library statically as well).

So do you all care for the ability to database tags/and or id3libsupport? Or is it ok for those that want to try it out that songs (mp3s not oggs) may all list as "Unknown".

Hmm, maybe that should have been broken down into smaller posts. Anyway can someone point me at the source for hijack (I assume that's where the docs are for the button ioctls) and/or can someone just point me to this missing documentation?

Thanks,
-Adam

p.s. I hope to have squash play-testable before friday evening, since I have a small roadtrip to take. If anyone wants a copy to try out let me know

p.p.s. I got squash to run after player rather simply by renaming the player to player.backup and then making a shell script that ran the player and then squash. (Duh. Don't know why it was puzzling me earlier).

Edited by gryng (20/08/2003 15:59)