OK, I'm ripping! MusicMatch supports both V1 and V2 tags, so I've selected both. What fields will empeg read? I've added year to the list, will it read 'mood' and 'preference' and all the others?

Empeg makes use of the following fields in the V1 tag:

- Track Name
- Artist Name
- Album Name
- Year
- Genre

I believe it stores the "Comment" field and displays it in Emplode, but I've never seen it displayed or used on the Empeg itself.

There is a V1.1 standard where they sacrifice the last byte of the "comment" field to store the track number. This is not used by Emplode. Instead, order your tracks by hitting view/details in Emplode and sorting by the sequence number, then dragging your tracks around until they're in the desired order. (One day, when you actually get your Empeg, remind me to teach you a trick that lets you drop groups of tracks onto the Empeg so that they appear in the correct order.)

Note that in V1 tags, there is only a specific list of about 128 genres that it will accept- you can't roll your own genre. Also note that all the name fields are limited to 30 character. This is a pretty severe limitation because you outrun it very frequently. This is one reason why I refuse to depend upon the CDDB to fill out my tags-- when there's an overflow, I want to be sure that I abbreviate it my way rather than just truncating it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the CDDB doesn't store the year, so it'll be up to you to enter the year when you're filling out your tags.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144