Yup, that's right - but it does mean that the administrator of the DHCP server has to decide that IP leases are attached to MAC (policy issue). If addresses were assigned from a pool, then they are effectively randomly assigned within the pool limits if the policy does not attach MAC to IP. This second form is not compatible with older DNS servers that do not include a DHCP server. If you use the first policy (effectively what BOOTP has been doing for years), then you are effectively using static assignment scheme anyway, so why bother with DHCP? (spot the gross oversimplification coupled with bullspeak in an attempt to pull a suitable amount of wool...)

I know - I'm only pointing out the obvious; I was just scared from the way Hugo framed it that there would be no other method of assigning NIC attachment data other than DHCP. He has explained a little in an adjacent post.

Believe it or not, I am actually a closet fan of DHCP (you'd never guess though), but it's frequently badly administered and under used/used incorrectly, and somewhat awkward to integrate into a useful DNS-based address scheme. I learnt the hard way about DHCP working overnight to configure a network of around a 130 PCs, finishing just about half an hour before the bash started (shudder - never again)

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015