A DEAD PIXEL!!! Right in the middle of the screen!

I feel for your distress... but I have to laugh. Not at you -- it just brought back memories.

About 6 or 8 years ago, we bought a new Gateway 2000 here where I work. ALL of it's pixels were dead. (That is, turn it on, nothing would happen) We'd have been thrilled to only have one bad pixel.

So, call Gateway, they send us a replacement, no problem. But it doesn't work either.

Call Gateway again, they send us another replacement. It "works" in that something happens when we plug it in: sparks and smoke and loud sizzling noises before we can hastily pull the plug.

Call Gateway again, they send us yet another replacement. It "works" exactly the same way as the previous one.

Call Gateway again, they send us yet another replacement. I don't remember what the problem was with that one, but it was unsatisfactory -- I think the image was compressed onto the left 2/3 of the screen or something like that.

Call Gateway again, they send us yet another replacement. By this time they have figured out that sending us refurbished monitors just isn't doing the trick so they send us a brand new one. It works.

So we had a stack of five Gateway monitors, stacked nearly to the ceiling to send back to Gateway.

Pixel? Schmixel! You don't know how good you had it!

tanstaafl.