I tried the begub version, and it worked fine. I couldn't get the other versions to run on my Rage 128.

Ok, cool, thanks. The next release will have some painting tools, and will behave the way the debug version did with respect to window sizing, so it should work OK for you.

I'm reaching a point with the software where I have to make a decision:

Do I just implement just a few rudimentary painting tools, assuming that everyone has a favorite image editor they can use if they need to work in more detail? Or do I try to make it a fully-featured image editor with marquee selections, geometric shape tools, fonts, etc.?

I'm leaning towards the former, because making an image editor is a lot of work. Also, the language it's written in isn't the fastest thing in the world, so any attempts I make at serious image-editing tools would be a pale second to any real image editor, even compared to something as simple as Windows Paint.

As it stands right now, you can paint with your mouse in different brush widths. There is a toolbar to select the brush thickness and colors. And there are keyboard shortcuts so you just press "1" for black, "2" for dark gray, "3" for light gray, and "4" for white. I'll add a few more image commands (probably negative-image and swap home/car, maybe a flood fill), but beyond that there won't be much.

Before I release this, I have to work out a few bugs, and decide how to handle the preview window while painting.