Why is the Jetta so popular with a certain market segment?

Most of the time when I see a Jetta, it's driven by a reasonably attractive woman in her 20's or 30's, the urban-professional type. The color black also seems to have something to do with it. It's possible that this observation is a California-regional thing, but I get the impression from others that it's nationwide.

Now, I can understand how a certain car can be attractive to a certain market segment. Cars like the new Beetle, the PT Cruiser, or the Mini have very distinctive styling and clearly are targeted to people who have very specific tastes. But the Jetta is practically a generic econo-sedan, yet I see more demographic variation in the drivers of those other cars than I do in the Jetta.

The other theory would be because the Jetta is carefully targeted to that demographic in its advertising campaigns. I'm not sure about that, though, because I've seen lots of commercials for Jettas that don't seem to have that particular target. Then again, I might be missing subliminal cues in the commercials simply because I'm male and don't have the psychological makeup to react to whatever triggers they're putting in the ads.

I'm sure Heather has an opinion, since she works at a VW dealership, so I'm interested in that. Anyone else want to chime in, too?