And I have to say to Lord Bleys, functionality? What functionality?

Re: functionality of form
The unoccupied area in the left corner keeps me from fingerprinting the display pane when working with buttons -- a problem with the current design because I find myself cleaning the faceplate almost daily. You called it "large". It's actually not that big...

The buttons are contoured so that I know which one I'm touching when driving at night (in the dark) -- without having to get distracted fingering the panel to find out where my fingers are relative to it.

The "wing" slopes to the right and draws my eye away from the buttons and toward the display -- which is where I want my passengers' eyes to be.

The knob is well-placed and placed large enough to find easily in the dark. As a bonus it appears to be raised enough that I need not worry about fingerprinting the faceplate section covering the IR receiver.

The faceplate will most likely be black (at this point I think it's confirmed in another thread, here) to avoid style/matching problems in most vehicles.

That's what I meant by functional... I'm glad you asked -- because my .sig definately applies in this case.

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca