Quote:
In theory you just need to do it once like product activation in Windows.

In theory we would be in Valveland and it would work right. Here in the real world, I have done everything properly, including having "Save my password" on every time and Offline mode still fails to work. The second I get a proper offline attempt, I am blocking my network from seeing Steam so I can play the game I legally bought any time I want to, and not when Valve decides I can. This assuming I can get it to work. Attempts to call today to ask for a refund were always met with an all circuits are busy error. If I can't get through tomorrow, I am calling Chase and having them reject the credit charge, for receiving faulty merchandise.

I made a few people at Best Buy today rather upset. Told them flat out "I am being treated like a criminal, and am being denied access to Half Life 2, a product I paid for. This while people are downloading the game off pirate sites and playing it just fine with no issues." Pretty sure I managed to stop about 4 sales of it, since the retail version is simply encrypted files and Steam.

*edit* Thinking about it, at least Microsoft did activation in a semi decent way. It is not mandatory to do to use the product you paid for during the first 30 days. And if for some reason you can't activate it online, you can call a toll free number at any time to activate and use the product. It is a one time deal period. Never again do you have to activate or call Microsoft unless you reinstall. Steam, well, you have to have their permission before even using the product, and have it every time if you have an ethernet cable plugged in.

Edited by drakino (17/11/2004 05:27)