Thanks for preparing those files. Very nicely done. I don't know if you got that timing track somewhere or if you made it yourself, but that's very slick.

Since my problem is independent of the bit rate (VBR or CBR doesn't seem to matter), I chose to use the CBR file for these tests:

WINAMP 2.90, load file, press play:

- Watching winamp's clock tick by, it starts out fine and then slowly gets desynchronized from the timing ticks.

- At about the two-minute mark, it's off by half a second.

- At about the four-minute mark, it's off by an entire second, and still getting worse.

- Simply dragging the scroll bar on Winamp to reposition the song index (to anywhere in the file including the middle of the file) will instantly fix the problem. The instant you release the scroll bar, suddenly everything is synched up again and it works perfectly. (Until it starts to slowly drift again.)

- Since the SYLT plugin uses Winamp's clock, of it course follows that behavior exactly.

- I get the exact same behavior whether I'm using WinAmp's "DirectSound Output", or WinAmp's "Wave Out" output.

EMPEG, Play file, observe in INFO:TRACK screen.

- Watching the empeg's clock tick by, it works perfectly and remains exactly synched through the entire duration of the entire file.

So clearly this is Winamp's problem, not yours. But I'd really love to find out what the source of the problem is and how to fix it or work around it. And I'd also like to know if anyone else sees the same behavior in their installation of WinAmp.