I'm pretty sure it was only an option on the 1.33GHZ model. The 1.5GHz I had didn't have an option to drop the backlit keyboard. The main point is that it's not something new. It's been around a long time. Infact, Apple dropped that feature in development at one point and then added it back. Had me thinking it wouldn't make it into this revision. I didn't know ahbout the other tweaks until now (because I hadn't used the protos much) - BT 2.0, double-finger track pad scrolling & motion sensor.

The keyboard lighting does come on wih the ambient light sensor. But it can get triggered just by shadow when the room is otherwise bright enough to clearly see the keybooard. The letters are visible because of contrast. Dark letters on lighter silver keys or bright letters on dark keys. When the light in the keys is just bright enough to make the letters blend into the silver keys, it's virtually impossible to make them out. Very annoying. You can alter the brightness of the keys - or turn them off - as long as they've been activated by the sensor. Cover both speaker grills with your hands and you can see them light up.

The newest Powerbooks are definitely constructed better than the previous ones as well. The latching mechanisms on the top cover are much better than the previous (which can be easily damaged when putting the machine back together after internal upgrades).

Bruno