It's time for new tires, as my old ones have started to self destruct on the wheel. A few days ago I noticed a whacking sound when I drove above 40mph that seemed to happen every tire rotation. It of course went away shortly before I took it into the mechanic. I couldn't figure out what would only do that at high speeds until I checked the treads of the tires and found a long strip from the inside corner was missing exposing the steel belt. It seems like the tread is ready to seperate the rest of the way, so the car isn't going anywhere besides a tire shop at this point.

It's a '01 Honda Prelude, with 53k miles on the orginal Bridgestone Potenza RE92's. They've been good tires, lasted though some heavy driving and never let me down even now while on their death bed. The size is 205/50-16 if that makes any difference.

What should I look at replacing these tires with? Cost isn't a big concern, though value is. The car never sees snow, but it does see a good amount of rain in the winter. Do I need all season, or does no snow mean summer tires are fine? Any specific reccomendations? I'll probably spend this evening reading tirerack reviews and order tomorrow.

Matthew