Stick "site" in front of chmod.

Well, we're getting closer.

I have almost gotten this to work now.

It would appear that any tasks that are not native to the version of ftp.exe supplied with Windows XP must be prefixed with "literal site" before they will work. This is what I have come up with.

I have files called "fidsift.bat", "fidsift.txt", "fidsift.sh", and ftp.exe all located in a directory on my computer, "C:\_FTP"

fidsift.bat
cd C:\_ftp
ftp.exe -s:fidsift.txt

fidsift.txt
open 192.168.0.101
cd /empeg/bin
literal site rw
put fidsift.sh
literal site chmod 755 fidsift.sh
literal site exec fidsift.sh
literal site ro
# quit

I commented out the quit command so the results of the ftp session would remain on-screen.

fidsift.sh
(no, you don't want me to paste that file into this post, it'll mess up everybody's screen formatting that opens this thread! It's the file linked to earlier in this thread)

ftp.exe
This is the executable copied from the windows system32 directory or wherever it normally keeps itself.

Here's what I see when I run the fidsift.bat file:
C:\_ftp>cd C:\_ftp
C:\_ftp>ftp.exe -s:fidsift.txt
ftp> open 192.168.0.101.
220 Connected.
User <192.168.0.101:<none>>:
230 Login okay.
ftp> cd /empeg/bin
250 "/empeg/bin" directory changed
ftp> literal site rw
200 Okay.
ftp> put fidsift.sh
200 Okay.
150 Opening data connection.
226 Okay
ftp: 863 bytes sent in 0.00 seconds 863000.00 Kbytes/sec.
ftp> literal site chmod 755 fidsift.sh
200 Okay.
ftp> literal site exec fidsift.sh

541 ERROR <rc=127>
ftp> literal site ro
200 Okay.
ftp> # quit
Invalid command.
ftp>

Clearly the red highlighted line indicates a problem. That step runs for perhaps two seconds, then shows that error.

Can anyone tell me what that error is about and how to fix it?

Also, by mucking about with this, am I at risk of corrupting some important files in my player?

The object of all this is to have an icon on my computer that I can click on and automatically run a complete fidsift, without having to go through the bother of hyperterminal and making a serial connection and remembering and typing in all sorts of arcane commands.

As I said before, it looks like I am almost there...

tanstaafl.