... it will still work automatically after the next time you reinstall player softw are on that machine.

Just to wrap this whole thing up... I am attaching a zip file to this post that contains everything you need to set up a fully automated fidsift installation and operation. You will need to have your player set up to operate with an ethernet connection.

(1) Create a directory on your Windows computer: C:\fidsift
(if you use some other directory, modify the fidsift.bat file appropriately.)

(2) Copy the attached zip file into that directory and unzip it.

(3) Edit the fidsift.txt file, changing Open <your.empeg.ip.addr> to the actual ip address that your player uses when running emplode on ethernet, so it looks something like this: Open 192.168.0.101 (your numbers will vary, of course)

(4) Double-click on the fidsift.bat file.

That's all you have to do. Much simpler than mucking about with Hyperterminal, serial null-modem cable, and arcane Linux commands. Run the fidsift routine after every re-synch if you like -- it takes less than 10 seconds to run, start to finish.

Fidsift has reduced the time it takes to rebuild the database on my player from 10+ minutes to 2:35.

The zip file contains fidsift.bat, fidsift.txt, fidsift.sh, and ftp.exe. Yes, I know that ftp.exe isn't required, but somehow it makes me more comfortable to have the complete package all wrapped up neatly, and I know that this particular version of ftp.exe does work in this procedure, so it eliminates one possible failure point.

Many thanks to Mark Lord for helping me sort this out.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
289080-fidsift.zip (146 downloads)