Quote:
I bet can find more crimes involving ice picks, ladders, swimming pools, ammonia, glass bottles, hammers, screwdrivers, nail guns, piano wire, blunt objects, etc etc. And that's just within a few years. It doesn't take a rifle to kill someone.

Do you even realize how often you change your argument?

All of the objects you list have uses, primary uses, beyond killing people. You might be able to make the argument that you could use a Barrett M82 for hunting (though I don't quite get the concept of hunting from a mile away), its clear primary use is for killing people, and surreptitiously, at that. That said, it's a perfectly legal weapon to own in the vast majority of US states.

But this still doesn't explain why you don't care that anyone living in the US, non-citizen and citizen alike, could be declared an enemy combatant by the President and detained and tortured for the rest of their life. You're obviously distrustful of the government if you think that you need to keep high-powered weapons around to protect yourself from them, yet you apparently assume that this won't happen to you because you're not an enemy combatant. Maybe Bush decides he wants to declare anyone who owns an M82 an enemy combatant. What then? Wouldn't it make sense, especially given your distrust, to fight this now?

I know we don't agree on the guns issue (though we're not as far apart as you probably think -- I do play devil's advocate somewhat) but I don't understand why this issue isn't at least as egregious to you.