There is a config.ini entry that will allow you to exit the player software from the main menu. It adds the command "Exit" somewhere on the main menu. I don't remember exactly where the command appears on the main menu, and I don't remember exactly what the config.ini entry was to make it happen, but I know it can be done. Because the various entries on the player's main menu can be direct-accessed by pressing the number keys on the remote, you could easily come up with a sequence of IR-programmable keystrokes that will reliably exit the player software from the main menu.

Why this is useful at all: If you've got a standard (not hacked) "init" on your hard disk, exiting the player software will restart the player software. This is very similar to a reboot.

I don't know exactly why you want to reboot using the remote control, though. So I'm not sure if restarting the player software is what you're after.

Can you give us more details about what problem you're trying to solve by rebooting via IR? Maybe there's a less complicated solution that doesn't involve a reboot at all.