About 60 seconds after I wrote about getting the wrong iTunes version, I tried again and Apple's site had been updated with the new file.

After reading a bit more about the new touch I'm even less impressed than initially.

Major features that didn't come to the touch:

GPS
Camera
More storage - I was expecting a bump to 64GB on the top end

I certainly didn't expect them all, but thought at least one would be forthcoming.

I might pick up an old one as a development/test machine since I don't really have a need for a portable audio device unless it can hold my entire library. I also don't have a need for a photo viewer that has no way to take photos or pull them from a camera or camera card directly. Moving photos from your computer to the touch is only semi-useful. To tote around to show other people snaps. Not as functional as the device could be with a more convergent design.

I think Apple were content to let this thing just keep on going (don't mess with a good thing) and hope to really exploit it as a vehicle for the AppStore. You don't need the major features I mentioned to make this into a killer handheld gaming device, albeit one without any hard buttons. Plenty of opportunity for a large number of killer applications and utilities as well, even without decent location services.

Still would have been nice to see a 5mp image sensor and flash on there though. smile