Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I know Apple's cinema displays are supposed to be great and all, but is the new display they announced really $600 better than Dell's $299 24" model? Not to me.

Yes to a lot of professionals though, and even non pro users. The Dell E248WFP 24 inch screen uses a TN panel, meaning it cannot reproduce full 24bit true color images properly. They also tend to have strange issues with viewing angles where the colors become very distorted. The nearest comparable Dell would be the 2408WFP at $619. The new Apple display still has one feature about either, and thats the LED lighting.

Cinema displays have tended to be aimed specifically to Pro users, and as such carry both pro needed features and pricetags.

I agree with some of that, but I definitely disagree about the aim. Even in this latest announcement, the focus on the Cinema Display was that it could so easily attach to your MacBook or MacBook Pro, the emphasis being [IMO] on the MacBook due to its small screen. I don't consider that a pro-type usage.

So I can concede that the Cinema Displays are good for pro use, but for anyone else I just don't think the cost is worth it at all. I've seen plenty of Dell monitors, at least 10 sizes and models over the last few years, and they all look perfectly fine to me. Right now I'm working on a 30" model, and I've looked at the 30" Cinema Display every time I'm in the Apple store, and never found it to be significantly better, at least not in that limited time.

And I simply can't accept any explanation for that glossy screen. There are Windows merely at a 45 degree angle behind me, and I still frequently get annoyed by the diffused glare off my matte screen. If it were glossy I wouldn't be able to see a single thing during the day.