Busy, busy, busy...
Mostly with other stuff though; I was baffled and lost for more than a week after the twintower-incident.
I read your post a few days after you posted it and started modeling the alpha version in a usable beta version after that. Then someone launches a new virus, which forced me to do a lot of overwork ( digging around in a network of 7000 IP's isn't a small task ).
There were also some major changes in personal and professional spheres
Enough excuses... I've got a stable beta version and am currently developing a windows based installation tool, which I will release in the upcoming weekend. I've also modified blitmenu to use the empeg's own fonts and mimic the empeg menus. ( I guess I need to do some work for 2.0 )
The install will be different from others in that /sbin/init will not be overwritten. Instead it overwrites /etc/profile to startup blitmenu after selecting quit in the player menu. from there you could start all sorts of stuff. I was thinking of adding emptris in the package. Brian, if you're reading this, I hope this isn't a problem with you?
Another feature of the installer is the ability to flash the kernel from the empeg itself. As hugo suggested somewhere on the BBS, I wrote a simple program for this purpose. This would also allow switching bootup-logo's with blitmenu. Haven't tested yet.
The package I was thinking of would contain:
- displayserver 2.0 (applet included)
- blitmenu
- blitecho ( to display stuff like ps )
- emptris ( if that's okay with Brian )
- kernel with voladj, ir-hack and overlay hack for MK2 from drakino's site

Frank van Gestel