My washer has a separate option for the "Extra Rinse" cycle, which affects the outcome. I've seen others with this option, too. Which are you choosing?

The amount of time for the wash cycle itself is variable depending on where I twist the dial. I can go for a very short 5-minute wash (not counting rinse(s)) or a longer 15 to 25-minute wash. I think the rinse cycles are 5-10 minutes each, and I think it takes about 5 minutes to drain the water and spin off the excess water at the end of each of the above stages. So on average, about 30-60 minutes per wash cycle, depending on the options I choose.

As for drying: My gas dryer in my old house would get average clothes dry in 30 minutes, but my new electric dryer takes 45 minutes or more to accomplish the same task.

It's funny, the dial on the electric dryer seems to be interested in getting you to save energy. It has a label for its highest drying cycle on the timer dial, and then a significant blank space past that highest point. Each postion on the dial has a description of how dry you want the clothes, so it looks something like: Dry, more dry, very dry, {blank space}. You can position the dial so that it starts in that blank space and get up to 20 minutes extra of drying time. It turns out that the pathetic electric dryer still leaves the clothes damp on the "very dry" setting, so you have to always put the dial in the blank space to get anything useful accomplished. I took a pen and marked the blank space "Actually Dry". smile